Thursday, April 21, 2016

Stash box

This started out as a box to hold my die-cuts...



Supplies and notes:
  • The cute corrugated box itself was kept from a gift of Lemon Fudge made by the monks in Kentucky HERE.  (Here's a secret: I eat about 3 lbs. of fancy fruitcake every holiday season.  My folks always buy the first fruitcake of the season, she they also splurge for the extra goodies like Lemon Fudge and Bourbon Fudge... sooo goood... highly recommend).  I used the box to house the die-cuts of my new Tattered Florals by Tim (am I the last person to own these???)
  • The flowers were made with these dies.  These were made with an old Kelly Maps book from the late '80s.  I sprayed them with some sheer-pink Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist and attached them to each other with Glossy Accents.  In order to make these flowers, I've looked at several tutorials, but I think in the end we all do our own thing.  Here's the tutorial I looked at multiple times, however: What A Beautiful Mess,
  • The beads in the flowers are from a package from Monika at Creative With Monika (Thank you!). These were affixed with Glossy Accents
  • The box was pasted with Teresa Collins modeling paste then painted with Tim's Distress Paint in Weathered Wood
  • The leaves were cut from some scrap paper, but I inked it with Tim's DI in Forest Moss and then pasted with Tim's Distress Crackle Paste in Clear Rock Candy.  This didn't give me what I wanted, so I sprayed them with Tim's Distress Stain in Pumice Stone and blotted the excess ink (I always say it, but Pumice Stone is more green than Iced Spruce... take the tip if you don't own both)
  • The flowers and leaves were affixed with matte Mod Podge
I plan to share this at the following challenges:
  • Clear It Out: Theme: nature; Stash: greenery (the leaves are Tim's from Sizzix, and these had been cut and in my desk for a few weeks... I just unburied them!)
  • Frilly & Funkie: "It's not easy being green..." Recycle, upcycle, et cetera. The Kelly Maps book has been given new life, as well as the box.  Also, I used a hotel room key-card to apply the modeling paste.  For me, it IS easy being green-- I keep everything as if I were a person of the depression era! 
  • Creative Corner Challenge: Spring Flowers

12 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!!!!! How cool is this!!! Super happy that you are accumulating some new dies. I have a drawer that I put zip lock baggies full of different dies in. Works great! But this is a fabulous storage option! Oh, I love the cool treatment of the reverse corrugated box!!! So cool! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! My altered/distressed /shabby chic heart is in awe over this creation! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Creative Corner Challenges! Sara DT

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! My altered/distressed /shabby chic heart is in awe over this creation! Love it! Thanks for joining us at Creative Corner Challenges! Sara DT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love this! Such a beautiful little box and a fabulous way to store your die cuts! (I enjoyed the thought of the fudge too - only a thought though -I'm diabetic!) Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word! Now that is an awesome project, Mimi.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great call not to throw away this empty box. And no, you're not the last person to get these dies (I probably am). Fantastic flowers, truly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous box you created with a beautiful design. Now you not only have a piece of art it is a great storage for your die cuts as well! Thanks for playing along with us at the "It isn't easy being Green" Frilly and Funkie Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooow
    the box is so antique and loovee the flower you made
    so adorable and I am not good at making flower from paper
    I did but only two times haha and not making again
    and the inside is yummy already die cut flowers you have
    jump to other post now :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a great upcycling project! I love the texture you added to the box, and your flowers turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly and Funkie "It's Not Easy Being Green" Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous recycle piece, I just love the corrugated cardboard! Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'It's Not Easy Being Green' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW OH WOW - girlie! Super stoked to see you as a top 3 winner at F&F! Way to go my friend! This project was truly inspired. Big happy hugs today!!! <3 Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great to see your gorgeous box win Top 3 at Frilly and Funkie! My computer decided to be nice and let me see the winner's post at Frilly and Funkie! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete