Tuesday, November 29, 2016

SOS: Do the Bargello...

(...to the tune of "Do the hustle...")

This week at Shopping Our Stash, we are challenging you to use the Bargello technique.

Now, I been 'round the crafting block a time or two, but I had to look this one up... and it was fun! Come on and join in... 2016 is almost over... there's still time to try something new!




Supplies and notes:
  • Just so ya know, this is my second attempt.  My first try was too small and I had to scrap it and try again.  
  • Scraps were from my scrap bin which contains any paper under ~6 x 8". I reached to the bottom for the higher height-to-width ratios. 
  • Both the "Hello" and butterfly diecuts are from Monika... what a doll. I inked them with Champagne Versamark and heat embossed with Stampendous EP in a pearly white. The butterfly tried to fly away while I was cookin' him, so I added some gesso polkadots to cover his boo-boos.
  • MY TIPS FOR BARGELLO:
    • Use a coordinating paper for the base because if you have any gaps they won't be as noticeable . 
    • Use lots of adhesive on the base! In hindsight, I would have used my higher-quality adhesive more judiciously and filled in the gaps with the cheaper stuff.  (I'm pretty cheap...)
    • Once done, I coated the entire Bargello panel with matte Mod Podge using a palette knife.  This step was well worth it-- a few ends kind of poked up where they missed the adhesive. The matte Mod Podge didn't warp the project or add a weird texture or anything.
Truly, this didn't take long time, and I think it was well worth the attempt(s),  If you arrived here from the SOS page, how did you feel about the Design Team plus our Guest Designer, Cornelia???  Freakin' rocked this one!  

Now go cut a few paper strips and paste, paste, paste,  Then: cut, cut, cut!  And then paste, paste, paste again!

8 comments:

  1. Your card is so spring like love it. great colour combo. I used my zyron to cover the bases it helped not having bits sticking up, my first attempt did though as I didn't use the zyron. Love how you explained the cut cut paste paste that's what it is. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is gorgeous! Love the bright Spring colors in the paper you used, and kudos for saving that butterfly with Gesso dots. Your final sentence pretty much explains the technique perfectly! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work, Mimi! Love your paper choice. This was my first attempt as well and I was so glad I had my Zyron. Your pattern is great and looks perfectly executed to me!
    Hugz,
    Chana

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the mod podge layer at the end was a reallllllly good idea!!! (i used the xyron machine on my underlayer, so things stuck down really well, but i like the security of having a backup plan!!!!!!)

    meanwhile, design-wise this really is just INCREDIBLY lovely! so much so that i can almost forgive you for going to hawaii without me in january. ...almost... (KIDDING, i hope you have a blast. but truly you need to IG every day or DM me, so i can be properly envious!!!) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a prety card! Refreshing to see something different from Christmas themed cards! Thanks for having me as a GDT this month - I had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful card! I love the soft pretty colours, and the design you used for the background is so unique and wonderful!! Love it!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've actually tried this technique once before. I certainly have scraps to use for it. It's a really effective background and it doesn't need anything more than what you put on, don't want to cover it up. It's too pretty and too much work for that:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very effective card - will have to try again -THANK YOU for the tips and thank you visiting my blog Have a lovely Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete